Monday, November 30, 2015

28. Alternative Meditation

For some, the idea of emptying one’s mind might seem too daunting a task.  I understand, it is a difficult practice to master.  And for some of us, we are not in a place to easily empty our minds of what is going on around us.  We need to remember that the Spirit does not demand the same spiritual practice of everyone, and there is a path to the Spirit for each person.  We will be exploring many different spiritual practices, and we must choose the ones that make sense for us.

Another option of emptying one’s mind, is to narrow one’s focus to one phrase.  For instance, I  might repeat the phrase in song, 

Speak to me Lord, for your child is here, listening
Speak to me Lord, for your child is here, waiting

On the first phrase, I will breathe out, and on the second, I will breathe in, allowing my body rhythm to be wrapped around the prayer.  This one works for me for my usual gift of the Spirit is him speaking to my spirit.  

But other phrases can also be used, such as “Jesus, son of God, Savior, have mercy on me.”  Or make up a phrase of your own, “Cleanse me, heal me”, for example.


Just repeat the phrase, even under your breath, and whenever your mind wishes to explore the everyday troubles and concerns, just go back to the phrase, focusing on it alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment